Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Time

After taking a break last week to go to a great library conference in Denver (well, near Denver), I am back to storytiming.

This week it is pumpkins. We read It's Pumpkin Time by Zoe Hall, Big Pumpkin, by Erica Silverman, and a fun little pop-up book called Little Monsters, by Jan Pienkowski.

Songs included Did You Ever See a Pumpkin, Five Little Pumpkins, and the Scarecrow Song. This last one is one of my favorites, and I don't think very many people know it. It goes:

When all the cows were sleeping,
And the sun had gone to bed,
up jumped the scarecrow
And this is what he said:
I'm a dingle dangle scarecrow
With a flippy floppy hat!
I can shake my arms like this,
I can shake my legs like that!

When all the hens were roosting
And the moon behind a cloud,
Up jumped the scarecrow
And shouted very loud:
I'm a dingle dangle scarecrow
With a flippy floppy hat!
I can shake my arms like this,
I can shake my legs like that!

A fun song for jumping around and shaking your arms and legs! There is a tune online for this song here: http://www.thespeks.com/tn-dingle-dangle-scarecrow.html  although it is not exactly the same tune I use. I think I first got this song out of a little old paperback book titled This Little Puffin (from Puffin Books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment